Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Volume, Advance Decline and Volatility

Follow Me on Facebook Follow Me on Tweeter

I have decided to make a quick post - something that I usually do not do during the week. As a rule, I update my blog during week-ends, yet, there is some stuff on my opinion worth mentioning.

I would recommend checking three things:
a) today's daily volume on indexes (Nasdaq 100, S&P 500, DJI and others);
b) advance/decline issues and volume readings on the S&P 500 and NYSE;
c) volatility level on indexes (the same set - Nasdaq 100, S&P 500, DJI)

You may try to compare today's decline with decline we had on April 16, 2010:
1. The same as on April 16, we had very high volume surges during the indexes' decline, yet these volume surges are not as big as those that we saw on April 16, 2010 (today's volume signal is weaker).
2. The same as on April 16, we had today extremely low advance/decline issues and volume readings on the S&P 500 and NYSE indexes, yet today's readings were much lower (more extreme - today's advance/decline signal is stronger).
3. Current volatility is growing and is higher than we had on April 16, 2010.

The first two points above would suggest bounce up which could be similar to the one we had after decline on April 16, 2010. The last point (volatility) suggests that we could be on an edge of a strong correction. I think, there will be a reaction on the first two signals (volume and advance/decline signals) as some up move. I would not try to guess now how strong this up-move could be. If I do not see an up-move reaction then I would not expect to see a strong correction.

No comments: