Sunday, June 28, 2009

S&P 500 Technical Analysis

Follow Me on Facebook Follow Me on Tweeter

With exception of Monday, the past week could be considered positive. Yet, by the end of the week the indicators make me somewhat cautious about the further trend. The correction we had from June 12, 2009 until June 23, 2009 could be considered as the strongest down turn since March 9, 2009 (since the market is in the longer-term up-trend). The high levels the indexes hit in the beginning of June became a strong resistance barrier. The Dow Jones Industrials (^DJI) has been fluctuating around the same resistance level for a month (from December 1, 2008 until June 9, 2009). The S&P stuck close to its current resistance in December 2008 as well. Yes, the Nasdaq 100 index is one of the indexes that recovered stronger, but we should remember that the Nasdaq 100 represent non financial companies and was less affected by 2008 stock market crash.

So, we may see that June’s high levels are quite sensitive and even if indexes continue to move higher by recovering from the recent correction I would consider that the odds are pretty good that we may see them stuck at the marked resistance level again. I would say that we may even see second bounce from there (this is just my opinion based on my personal technical analysis).

Despite the recent up-move (from June 23, 2009), at the current moment my longer-term technical analysis is not very optimistic. For a longer term sentiment I usually refer to the daily charts: from 1-year (1 bar = 1 day) to 3-year (1 bar = 3 days). I do not give snapshots of these charts in this post, however, I will try to post them in one of my next posts. All these charts are Bearish at this moment: I see negative money flow, I may consider that the market become somewhat overbought after the strong 3-month recovery rally (March-May 2009), average daily trading volume is down which means that the first wave of Bullish investors who push market up become exhausted, etc. Overall, my longer-term technical analysis is Bearish. However, on the other hand, we should not disregard the fact that during the recent correction down the main indexes (S&P 500, DJI, Nasdaq 100, Russell 2000…) were released from their overbought conditions at least partially which could keep the market and indexes at the current high levels.

In a shorter term – see S&P 500 index hourly chart below – we may see some sentiment changes towards bearish mood: SBV moves down, high green MVO (volume surges during the price up-move), declining Advance/Decline Oscillator, declining MACD and declining RSI. Stochastics is still could be considered positive and McClellan Oscillator is still above zero line which is a positive sign as well. In summary, I would say that my shorter-term technical analysis results point to the possibility of slide. Again (as I mentioned before) this is intraday chart and should be monitored during the trading hours for possible changes in the sentiment and trend.

Chart: S&P 500 index 60-day view (1 bar = 1 hour)

S&P 500 hourly chart

No comments: