Monday, January 18, 2010

S&P 500 Chart

Follow Me on Facebook Follow Me on Tweeter

Last week in my "Mixed Market" post on January 10, 2010, despite prior up-move in period from January 4, I was a little bit sceptical about further up-move (see four points I mentioned in that post). Now, one week later we have indexes lower after volatile week. Coming back to those four points:

  1. High volume during the up-move in period from January 2 until January 8, 2010 - this point is still actual and this bullish volume still would suggest overbought market with possibility of a decline;
  2. Second point was low volatility with possibility indication of coming action "squeeze before strong events" - actually we had some strong movements up and down during this week, and actually volatility started to climb up which is a bearish sign.
  3. Third point was that I did not like sharp up-move at the end of trading on Friday January 8, 2010 since it did not fit overbought condition. However, already on Monday January 11, 2010 strong opening and then strong decline down changed my view. I already mentioned several times before about sharp opening and then strong decline at resistance levels as a good Bearish signal.
  4. Forth point was huge volume in C stock (Citigroup) - this volume still bothers me, since I still do not see a reversal reaction on it.

Now, coming back to the technical indicators and technical analysis I may say that majority of indicators on NASDAQ 100, S&P 500 and DJI (indexes that I track) charts are bearish. However, these indexes already were bearish a few days ago on January 12, 2010 and then we had a strong recovery on January 13, 2010. Now the indexes down again and technical analysis generates bearish signals again. There is only small one difference between current bearish indications and bearish signals on January 12 - volatility now is higher. This would increase the odds of possibility of further decline.

I have posted the S&P 500 index chart with indicators I use in my technical analysis. I have not done it for a month assuming that those who follow my blog already knows what tools I use and they have access to the same charts in real time. I usually look at hourly charts (1 bar = 1 hour) and hourly charts are not the charts that help to predict a mid- and long-term trend. These charts are intraday charts and they should be monitored during the trading hours.

Chart #1: The S&P 500 chart with some elements of technical analysis
S&P 500 chart - january 2010

No comments: