Sunday, November 1, 2009

Advance/Decline

Follow Me on Facebook Follow Me on Tweeter

In my previous "Advance/Decline and Volume" post on October 26, 2009 I have expressed that from the point of my personal technical analysis I see a dominance of Bearish market which was confirmed by decline on the stock market during this week. In the same post I have mentioned that I do not know when to expect a reversal, yet, I have pointed that I would monitor indexes (Nasdaq 100, DJI and S&P 500) for high volume surges during the price decline and the S&P 500 index for low advance/decline readings.

Actually we had very low advance/decline volume and issues ratio reading on the S&P 500 index on October 28, 2009. However on that day the critically low Advance/Decline readings were not supported by high volume. Still we had strong bounce on the next day (on October 29, 2009), which looked very promising, yet on Friday October 30, 2009 we had record decline again.

October 30, 2009 is an interesting day. On that day we had high volume on all major indexes and advance/decline volume and issue ratios have dropped to critically low readings again. (You may see the S&P 500 index advance/decline reading at
http://www.marketvolume.com/quotes/advance_decline_sentiment.asp?s=SPX). These two factors suggest that there is a possibility that the market become oversold. In this case volume and advance/decline indicators perform as leading (trend-predicting) indicators that suggest a possibility of a reversal. Yes, if we take a look at major technical indicators (beside volume and advance/decline) we will see that almost all of them are bearish and suggest the higher odds of further decline. However, I would not be very sure in this and personally I do not hold any short position right now. Yes, we still may see some decline, however based on my experience working with volume and advance/decline data I would consider possibility of coming reversal and I would monitor index charts more closely for bullish signals that may confirm my analysis.

As a rule the indexes always react on high volume and low advance/decline data during the price decline by a reversal. There could be occurrences when it could be ignored, however it usually happens during the longer-term recessions or during the stock market crashes. I do not think that the logger-term market is in any of those stages right now. Furthermore, despite bearish signals on many indicators I would rather stay in cash and wait for some bullish signals that may confirm my analysis.

In one of my next post I will try to show my thoughts about longer-term trend. I think, now, the stock market is not the same as it was six month ago and I think it could be interesting to take a look at longer-term index charts (S&P 500, DJI and Nasdaq 100 charts) to see the general tendency of the market movement.

No comments: