Sunday, May 24, 2009

S&P 500 Chart

Follow Me on Facebook Follow Me on Tweeter
Another week is behind. The stock market is doing what it supposed to do (in the meaning of my technical analysis results). The main U.S. indexes (Nasdaq 100, S&P 500 and DJI) followed the pattern defined in the "S&P 500" post on May 14, 2009 and in the "S&P 500 Analysis Follow Up" post on May 18, 2009. In particular, the indexes moved up - back to the May 6-8, 2009 highs, but did not break those levels. Then the indexes have dropped down again.

Now, the same traditional question that bother all trader: "Up or Down?" The answer on this question could be different depending on the personal trading style. If you are long-term trader and expect to stay in position for years then you could be looking for the answer in long-term charts, in the analysis of the economy and fundamentals. On the other hand if you are short-term ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) trader could be looking for the answer in the technical analysis of the short-term index charts.

I am not here to discuss long-term analysis of the U.S. stock market, and I am not here to say where the market is going to be on the next trading day after the market open. I usually do one post a week where I am trying to cover technical analysis of the 60-day (hourly, 1 bar = 1 hour) index charts. Depending on the market volatility these charts are covering 2-5 days trends, and even I do not trade these charts (I’m short-term trader) I use them to see the general sentiment of the indexes and accordingly adjust my trading strategy.

Coming back to the traditional chart setting you may see in my blog, I may say that the majority of the technical indicators on the S&P 500 index are Bearish. The similar tendency could be noted on the Dow Jones Industrial index. The Nasdaq 100 is not as bearish as S&P 500 and DJI, yet, still negative. I would not make a statement that the indexes are strongly bearish. There are some bullish indicators could be seen as well.

S&P 500 chart technical analysis
From the chart above you may see that there is some dominance of the bearish sentiment. It is not a strong dominance: the currently bearish indicators have been bullish on Friday May 23 almost whole trading session and has become bearish only by the end of the day (you may see RSI and Stochastics started to move down again). One of the main reasons why I would shift the odds in a favor of bearish move is because of the volume surge at high price on May 20, 2009 in S&P 500 and DJI sectors. We do not see such high volume on the Nasdaq 100 index, however, we have not seen a high volume on the Nasdaq 100 during the price decline on May 13, 2009 neither.

Even my technical analysis is somewhat bearish at this moment, I would still keep my eye closely on charts since the indexes are close to the May 13, 15 and 21 lows (see lower blue line on the S&P 500 chart above which mark shorter-term sensitive level) to see if this line is going to be broken.

Again, my technical analysis is subjective and reflects my personal view on the market. I may only recommend doing your own personal analysis which would fit your personal trading style.

No comments: